Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Under The Sea

This past month has been a busy one for stitchin'~ all gifts for special friends and family... and friends that I consider family. These two lovelies are going to make their way to Boise, Idaho to two of my favorite people in the whole wide world-- mother/daughter dynamic duo, Debra and Chelsey. Deb, Chelsey, and I have been lifelong friends.

When Chelse-Woman was a wee one, she loved Disney's "The Little Mermaid". She would spend hours in the tub singing Ariel's "Ahhhh... ahhhh... ahhhh...". Those of you who have kids may know that song well, as your little ones probably sang it in the tub too. When Chelsey sang, you could hear her down the hall, and Deb and I would just look at each other and giggle.

Chelsey was a fun, precocious little girl, with gorgeous red hair and an incredible imagination. Chelsey was often in "Chelsey-World"~ dancing and singing around the house in her tie-die leggings, and her twirly-whirly red square dancing slip that her grandma found for her. Seriously, (giggle) I don't think I ever saw her without one or the other-- or both. Chelsey could speak from a very early age, and introduced us to vocabulary we didn't even know existed. To this day, we still incorporate "Chelsey-isms" into our conversations. ("Oh my goodness-- Deb! We need to have a discussment!") Just goes to show, close friends have a "language all their own", right?


Well, Chelsey has grown into an incredible, lovely, talented, world-travelin' young woman. She's an amazing photographer (I love, love, love her photos), a great cook (she can cook Julia's boeuf like none other), and she's got great style (she wears her leggings in solid colors now). And yes, she still has that gorgeous red mane.


However, no matter how grown up Chelsey is now, whenever I see a great mermaid image--I think of her. Needless to say, this was the inspiration for choosing these vintage mermaid embroidery patterns to stitch for Deb and Chelsey. I hope these images will bring back sweet memories, and that they will love them as much as I loved stitching them!


Hugs,


5 comments:

laurie -magpie ethel said...

I hope Chelsey reads this and sees what a great person she has grown up to be. Am sure she will treasure her little mermaid towel.

Tracey Holdyk said...

What a lovely post and what an amazing person is chelsey. Thanks for sharing this story and this beautiful stitching.
Love me :-)

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

What a wonderful story about wonderful friends! The stitching is lovely and I am sure Chelsey and Deb will love them!! xoxo Debbie

suzitee said...

Your mermaids are gorgeous! I can almost picture little Chelsey...what a beautifully written post Jill. Your friends are so lucky to have you in their lives :)

Claudia said...

They are beautiful gifts for beautiful friends! You've written lovingly about Chelsey - she's lucky to have you in her life.

xo
Claudia